Book review: City of Ashes

Title: City of Ashes
Series: The Mortal Instruments #2
Author: Cassandra Clare
Release date: March 2008
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 453 pages


Expectations

If you haven't read the first book yet, check out my review on City of Bones!

So after reading the City of Bones I'm very curious to see how this story continues. I'm hoping for more character development for Clary. 




Review


This review contains spoilers, if you haven't read the series, I suggest reading my spoiler free review of the first book: City of Bones 


The second book in The Mortal Instruments series was definitely an improvement compaired to City of Bones. I loved this book and read it a lot faster then City of Bones.

In this book Clary discovered her ability to draw runes, very cool. I liked her more than in the first book!

The relationship between Clary and Simon was just awkward and uncomfortable.. just no.. It was so sudden too! They kissed and he called her his girlfriend. And then Clary was like..okay, I guess that's fine. This was very strange..

The brother and sister thing is keeping things awkward and complicated between Clary and Jace. There is a lot of tention. 

I liked Magnus, he is an interesting character. We also get to see a little bit more of Alec, not much of Isabelle though. I missed her in this book! I'm starting to like Alec more as well. Many of the characters we met in book 1 get more depth and become more real in this book, which was very interesting to read about. 

Poor Simon. He died a lot of times in this book! To be honest, I wasn't sure if he would make it to book three.

Overall, this was just a great read, lot's of action, plot twists, great interactions and an interesting story. It was very well written. I couldn't wait to read the next page.
I wasn't bored for one minute.


Rating


I'm very happy I finally got on with reading this series, I've already started reading the third book, City of Glass, I hope the writing will continue this way, now I can imagine why people love this series!


Comments

  1. Awww, Simon. I felt bad for him in this book, too. I'm really glad you're enjoying this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, poor Simon. I hope he has better luck in the next books.
      Thanks Kaitlin!
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Hey, I really like your blog. I just recently started blogging. Could you check out my one and comment too? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I really like your blog. I just recently started blogging. Could you check out my one and comment too? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anushka, thank you!
      I will definitely visit your website and leave a comment for you :)
      Have a great day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi!
I love to get comments so please leave one!!!
Thanks :D

Popular Posts