Review: The Selection

Title: The Selection
Series: The Selection #1
Author: Kiera Cass
Release date: April 2012
Age group: Young Adult
Pages: 336

Synopsis from Goodreads:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.


Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Expectations

I know I shouldn't do this but I was drawn to this book because of the amazing cover! I also heard that this trilogy is similar to the TV show the Bachelor. One guy has the task to choose his partner out of a lot of girls. I’m curious about this story, however, if the main character is a girl who immediately loves everything about the guy, I will dislike this a lot. Let’s see.


Review

The start immediately grabs me and I don’t really know why. Maybe it’s because it seems like the author isn't trying so hard. Anyway, it’s a nice start of the story.

I like the main character America. I had some problems with her name, but I got over it. She seems like a nice girl. The author lets the reader gradually meet this world America lives in and doesn't smother you with loads of details about the unknown world. I really appreciated that ;) 

Aspen is really cute and he's a likable person, I liked him especially in the beginning of the story.
This book reads very easily and each time I had to stop reading I really didn't want to. I liked prince Maxon and it was nice to see the connection between America and Maxon grow. Their little jokes were funny to read about. She has a lot of humor. 
America has a lot of respect for the people who are in a lower caste.The conversations between her and the maids were showing America's respect and her urge for equal rights. 

I really liked reading about the Selection and the other girls and how different America felt in comparison. She doesn't understand how girls can just throw themselves at the prince without even knowing him.  

I do wonder why there are still two books in this trilogy because at the end of this book it feels like a sequel would be enough to create a nice ending to this.

Rating


I'm going to read the other two books in this series really soon and let you know if this trilogy is worth reading!! 

For now,I give this one 4 stars :D 




Comments

Popular Posts