Book review: Harry potter and the Cursed Child!

Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Author: J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne
Series: The '8th' Harry Potter book ( not really though)
Release date: July 31st 2016
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 327 pages

Expectations


I cannot tell you how excited I was when I first heard this would be a real thing! I read it the day it came out (just writing a late review..)


Review

First of all, I think we should really look at this play as a separate book, not as the 8th Harry Potter book. It is a totally different book, not a continuation of the story. 

Because of the script-form of writing, it reads very different. I felt like big chunks of information were missing, but maybe that's just because I'm not used to reading a script. 

So ,besides from the different format, what did I think of this story?

Characters were not themselves. Ron was just added for comic relief, Hermione was strange and Harry would have never said what he said to his son Albus. Draco was described the most realistically from all old characters.

Scorpius was by far my favorite character! So sweet, so funny & a really good friend to Albus. I also liked the friendship between them. 

The use of the time turner was interesting, as well as the alternate realities they created ( I was secretely hoping for a Hermione & Draco relationship in one of the alternate realities..)

Also, the were a lot of plot holes! 

I'm very curious to know how they will actually perform this play on stage, knowing there are a lot of magical elements described. 

It was an enjoyable read, but not comparable to the rest of the series. Maybe I also had unrealistically high expectations.

Rating

I'll give it 2,5 (maybe 3) stars.




Comments

  1. Great review. I was very disappointed in this book. I did love Scorpius, though. He’s a great character.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi!
I love to get comments so please leave one!!!
Thanks :D

Popular Posts