Book review: The Giver

Title: The Giver
Series: The Giver Quartet #1
Author: Lois Lowry
Genre: classics
Release date: first published in April 1993

Pages: 180 pages






Expectations
I never had to read this for school and  I've heard this is an amazing book, very excited to listen to the audiobook!

Synopsis
This haunting story centers on Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he's given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community.


Review
I loved listening to the audiobook, which was done really amazing. I couldn't stop listening!

I really enjoyed Jonas as a character. Loved to see the relationship with the giver grow into grandfather-grandson like relationship. 

The writing was so lovely, beautiful and captivating.
The dystopian world Lowry created was very interesting, especailly considering it was written before all the dystopian books we know now. 

Loved the entire idea of this world. It really makes you think about evetything we see as normal, and if it is supposed to be like that. It really gets you thinking.

The only negative thing I have to say about this (warning, spoiler!) is about the ending. I was in shock that it ended so abruptly. What happened? Did Jonas die? I need to know! And I thought there was a sequel, but the next book tells a totally different story and doesn't continu this one. 
It left me totally speechless, but I guess there is some beauty in leaving it open like that.

Have you read this ? If you have, let me know your thoughts on the ending!!

Rating 
4 stars


Wanna buy this book? Check it out on amazon or bookdepository!



Comments

  1. I was forced to read this book for school, and I loved it. It was the first assigned novel that I actually enjoyed. I agree about the ending, though. It is abrupt.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's a great book :)
      I'm glad you agree on the ending, it's so abrupt!

      Delete
  2. I read this one quite a while ago, in class. I remember enjoying it for the most part, and the meaning and insight it gave into humanity and emotions. I just didn't like the ending! It cut off so suddenly.

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2017/04/alice-in-wonderland-through-looking.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi!
I love to get comments so please leave one!!!
Thanks :D

Popular Posts