Book review: The Jungle Book

Title: The Jungle Book
Author: Rudyard Kipling
Genre: classic
Release date: first published in 1894!
Pages: 277
Format: Audiobook (Librivox)


Expectations:
I only know the Jungle Book from the Disney movie adaptation. I'm curious to listen to the Original book, which was first published in 1894!




Review
I've listened to this on Librivox and at first it was really nice. The first couple of chapters cover the story we know, the little boy Mowgli growing up in the Jungle. This part was fun to read.

We get to see the interaction between Mowgli and all the animals of the Jungle. Some are helpful, trying to protect Mowgli while others don't trust the creature and try to kill him. It was nostalgic for me to listen to Baloo the Bear and Bagheera the Panther.

After that there was as collection of short animal stories, which I didn't enjoy that much. The stories were hard to follow, I had to rewind parts quite regularly. It was hard for me to keep concentrating while listening to the story. 


The narrator did a great job, and I find it very fascinating that this story is written so many years ago in 1894.

Rating
Because of my mixed thoughts on the different parts of the book, I rated this one a bit in the middle, with three stars.

Comments

Popular Posts