Review: Book of Shadows

Title: Book of Shadows
Series: Sweep #1
Author: Cate Tiernan
Release date: January 2001
Age group: Young Adults
Pages: 176

Synopsis from Goodreads

'Something is happening to me that I don't understand.
I see things, feel things in a new way. I can do things normal people can't do. Powerful things. Magickal things. It scares me.
I never chose to learn witchcraft. But I'm starting to wonder if witchcraft is choosing me.'


Expectations

I've read the first books in this series when I was about 14 years old and a the time I needed to read a book in English for school. I remember really liking it and that the story had something to do with witches. 

When I came across an e-book version of the series, I wanted to give this series another try and read more then the first 2/3 books. If you've read this series, I would love to know your thoughts on it in the comments!


Review

I like Morgan as a main character. I like the way she looks, she describes herself as a plain girl with no chest while her best friend and sister are gorgeous. Morgan is a down to earth girl who knows that boys look at her best friend Bree all the time and that they don't pay much attention to her. That said, she doesn't feel sorry for herself. 

Bree seems like a good friend, who knows she's better looking then Morgan. When Morgan get's some attention from a guy Bree get's very jealous and she seems very shallow and selfish. Jealousy among friends is a really good and realistic topic to write about and I think Cate did an awesome job with that.


Cal is the new guy in town and the one the two best friends are both in love with. Morgan describes him like this:


Quote: 
'But this guy was.... breathtaking. Raggedy, black-brown hair looked as if he hacked at it himself. He has a perfect nose, beautiful olive skin, and riveting, ageless, gold-colored eyes.'

My thoughts

In this book Morgan get's to know Cal and he introduces her to Magick. Morgan knows that Magick is something she wants to know more and more about. She starts  reading about it and discovers she has a special talent for Magick.

I thought the book was written beautifully. The characters are realistically described and Morgan is a good main character. I really enjoyed reading about the Wicca and I felt like joining Morgan in her search for more knowledge about it all. It is written for a slightly younger audience, but if you look through that, this is a really nice book to read.  



Rating

I enjoyed reading the Book of Shadows and I think it's a decent book to start a series. For me, the story is worth four stars and I'm curious about the next book in the series. I hope this is a series that will grow into more as we go, so we shall see.

Comments

  1. I have heard some great reviews for this book but for some reasons or the other I have not been able to pick it up. But, I do plan to read it some time.

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nita! It's a series that grows and gets better with every book. So many books to read right? Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi!
I love to get comments so please leave one!!!
Thanks :D

Popular Posts